What to consider when choosing a treatment center
Use the following questions as a checklist to help you evaluate your options and compare the services of treatment centers you’re considering:
- What is the goal of the treatment provider?
- What licenses and certifications does their treatment teams have?
- If residential, how long is their baseline program?
- How do they support family members?
- Do they take insurance?
- What kinds of services are included in their fees?
- What kinds of medical services are available — for example, do they provide supervised detoxification or assistance with pain management?
- What activities will you be required to participate in — individual counseling, group counseling, 12-step programs, etc.?
- What kinds of extra services or activities are available through the program? This could include anything from massage therapy to fitness programs.
- Do they have any counselors or therapists who can give insight from the perspective of religion? Will you have access to faith leaders or spiritual advisors if I need them?
- What therapeutic model or theories form the foundation of their treatment program, such as 12 steps, cognitive behavioral, or motivation enhancement?
- Do thier staff members have experience dealing with your specific addiction(s)?
- What will they do to prepare you for your return to the real world?
- Will they work with you on a discharge plan? If I you do not live close to the treatment center, will they help you find resources for continuing care in your own community?
- Do they provide follow-up care after you are discharged and, if so, for how long?
- Does their program help you transition into active 12-step participation and/or an addiction support group?
We can help you in finding the correct center.